COFFINS (now SPREYTON HOUSE)

 Spreyton Village

Coffins, mid-20th century

In the 1600s and early 1700s “Coffin” seems to have been the more usual form of the name. It then became “Coffins”. When George Lambert MP married in 1904 and brought his bride back to Coffins, she did not like the funereal associations of the name and thereafter it has usually been spelt “Cofyns” or “Coffyns”. The etymology is uncertain. But there is a large and ancient Devon family called Coffin, and it may be that a Coffin once owned the property (there is or was for instance a Coffins in Sowton associated with the Coffin family).

Coffins was part of the Manor of Spreyton that belonged to the Talbots in the Middle Ages. The farm would have been rented out to bring income to the lord of the manor. At some point, ownership of the Manor and of the farms belonging to it was split between three people, each of whom would have taken a share of the rental of the farm. By the 1600s, one half of Spreyton Manor, including Coffins, belonged to the Trend family of Chagford (who had probably acquired it from the Kelly family); one quarter to the Kelly family of Kelly in West Devon; and one quarter to the Wise family of Sydenham, who sold it to a Spreyton family called Risdon in 1657.

From the mid-1600s onwards, Coffins was leased by its three landlords to the Hore family; William Hore is for instance recorded as paying rent for the property in a 1644 document in the Devon Record Office. The Hores no doubt had to sign separate leases with each of the part-owners (property arrangements in those days made plenty of work for the lawyers). There is a document showing that, in 1655, a widow called Jane Hore paid John and Agnes Baron £60 for the residue of a lease on half the property for 99 years from the death of Raph Hore, determinable upon the lives of Jane Hore and her son Thomas. Raph Hore was probably an elderly relation, the only remaining life on the property, and the new 99-year lease was no doubt to ensure the property remained with the Hore family after his death.

After Jane’s death, the leasehold passed to her son Thomas. By the mid 1700s, another Thomas Hore, probably the son or grandson of the previous one, still had the leasehold of the property. He appears to have become quite grand (in 1743 he was described as “Esquire”, ie one above “gentleman” and two above “yeoman”). He was recorded in the parish records as being the churchwarden for Coffins in 1712 and 1714 (landholders took it in turn to be churchwarden), so it is possible that he lived there. In about 1744 he moved to Nymph in South Tawton, and from then on the property had other tenants.In 1767, for instance, the tenant was Samuel Honeycombe.

There are a number of memorials to the Hore family in Spreyton church, including one to Thomas Hore of Nymph who died in 1746. An earlier Thomas Hore, probably the son of Jane, was one of the churchwardens whose names were inscribed on one of the Spreyton bells in 1678.

In the 18th century, many of the big manorial landlords were selling off parts of their estates, and the Hores seem to have taken advantage of this to purchase as much of the freehold of Coffins as they could. In 1744 Thomas Hore purchased the freehold of a half share of Coffins and the Deerparks (fields now belonging to Coffins but which presumably had earlier been in different ownership) from John Trend of Chagford, for £130. And in 1755 Agnes Hore (probably the widow of Thomas) acquired the freehold of a further quarter share from Arthur Kelly of Kelly for £99. Thomas’s daughter, also Agnes, married into the Trist family of Totnes, and Coffins then passed into their hands. In 1777, Hore Browse Trist (Agnes’s son) acquired the final quarter of the freehold from the Rev. Richard Hole, a rich cleric who had inherited the Risdons’ quarter share in the property.

The Trists let the property to first John and then Christopher Coplestone. Hore Browse Trist died intestate in 1791 and his extensive estate (mostly in other parts of Devon) became the joint property of his three infant daughters. When they reached adulthood, they obtained an Act of Parliament to enable them to divide the properties between them, and Coffins was bestowed by this Act on Tryphena Trist. The property was then sold to George Cann of Falkedon, probably in two stages, the first half in the 1790s; and the second half in 1803 (for £600). George Cann was a bachelor, and in his will he bequeathed his property to his nephew George Lambert Gorwyn. But, probably because he made his will before the purchase of the second half of the freehold, Coffins passed by the law of intestacy to his brother John Cann of Fuidge, from whom George Lambert Gorwyn purchased it in 1808, again for £600.The various bits of the freehold continued to be subject to various conditions and reservations imposed by previous owners when they sold them on. Thus the hunting and fowling rights continued to belong to the heirs of Richard Hole. It is not clear if the Lambert Gorwyns purchased the hunting rights from the Holes at a later stage, or if they were just forgotten about.

The new owner, George Lambert Gorwyn (1763-1837), lived at Falkedon, and also owned the neighbouring farms of Croft and Rugroad. He seems to have farmed the land at Coffins, while letting the house or using it to house his farm labourers. In 1812, according to parish records, Robert and Grace Sampson were living there. By 1814 Samuel Powlesland, a farm labourer, and his wife Mary were there.In 1820 two other families are recorded as living there: John Crotch, schoolmaster, and his wife Elizabeth and John Northam, another farm labourer, and his wife Grace.These people may not all have been living in the house; they may have been in a cottage or cottages that belonged to the property (there is reference, for instance, in a document to a “Ball Park Cottage” on the estate).

There is a poignant gravestone belonging to the Crotch family in Spreyton churchyard. It reads:

THISstone is erected to mark the
spot

where are deposited the

remains

of the numerous family of John

and Elizabeth Crotch. Late of

Coffins in this parish: which

family

Were removed at an early and premature Age

From this transitory life

To live thereafter in a happier

state.

Maria, daughter of the

above

John and Elizabeth Crotch was

here

buried on the 21st day of

December 1808

Aged 1 year.

Also Mary Ann, daughter of the

above was here buried the 2nd

day of February 1809 aged 18

days

Also Elizabeth, daughter of the

above

Was here buried on the 5th day

of August 1820 aged 11 days.

Crotch grave

Crotch grave

George Lambert Gorwyn had an unsatisfactory son, also called George.George senior put him and his family into Coffins in the 1820s, presumably in place of the Crotches and Northams. Whether because of this, or because George junior was just thoroughly unpopular, the villagers turned him out of Coffins by force, dumping all his belongings at Spreyton Cross (from where the local blacksmith is alleged to have stolen his china). By the time of the 1841 census Samuel Powlesland is back at Coffins and another agricultural labourer, Joseph Pyke, was also living there with his family. Probably both men worked for the Lambert Gorwyns.

When George Lambert Gorwyn senior died in 1837, he passed over his unsatisfactory son, and left Coffins – along with several other farms – to his grandson, yet another George Lambert Gorwyn (1818-1885). During the 1850s Coffins was rented to another member of the Powlesland clan, a farmer called Samuel with a wife called Miriam. By 1861 these Powleslands had left and, according to the census Coffins was occupied by two farm labourers called John Tucker and John Vanstone and their families.In 1863 there is a tender from a John Cole offering £150 a year for the “Coffins, Crosspark and Rugroad estates”. Nothing seems to have come of this, however, and shortly afterwards Coffins was let to another tenant farmer, John Hooper, who was a churchwarden at Spreyton in 1865. Hooper was described in 1861 as a farmer of 245 acres, so it seems likely that he was also leasing Rugroad or Croft from George.

The third George Lambert Gorwyn quarrelled with all and sundry and seems to have been just as disliked as his father. He lived at Trayhill in Hittisleigh, but in about 1880 a man who had a grudge against him set fire to a woodrick at Trayhill and burnt the place down. George had to move elsewhere, and he chose Coffins, moving there in 1881 with his wife and two young children. He died only 4 years later, leaving his estate to his 19-year-old son George Lambert (the family had by this time dropped the Gorwyn). George Lambert (the future 1st Viscount Lambert, 1866-1958) was an exceptional man. He was a highly efficient farmer and he also entered politics at an extremely young age, becoming a Devon County Councillor at the age of 22; an MP by the age of 25; and a junior Minister at 38. He remained an MP until 1945, when he was made a peer. He lived all his life at Coffins (although he also acquired a house in London near Parliament).

The house at Coffins was a traditional cob and thatch long-house

The house at Coffins was a traditional cob and thatch long-house, probably built originally in the late 15th or 16th century, although no doubt with subsequent alterations. In 1905, following his marriage, George Lambert completely revamped the house. He also had the garden landscaped and a tennis court built, turning what was a fairly basic farmhouse into a gentleman’s residence, suitable to put up guests like Winston Churchill (who once stayed the night and to his hosts’ embarrassment was caught short in the night only to discover that the servant had forgotten to put a chamber-pot in his room).

Coffins before its makeover

Coffins before its makeover

Coffins after its makeover

Coffins after its makeover

George’s eldest son, again yet another George Lambert, replaced his father as the local MP in 1945. He remained the MP until 1958 when his father died and he inherited his father’s peerage. He also lived at Coffins with his family. He retired abroad and handed over the house and estate to his son, the last of an unbroken line of six George Lamberts to own the property. Tragically, young George died in a car accident, and the estate was sold in 1972.

The acreage of Coffins today is a lot larger than it was in the past. In 1655, it was described as “1 messuage [ie house]; 1 kitchen; 1 stable; 1 barn; 1 curtilege and garden and orchard; 20 acres of land [ie arable land]; 14 acres of meadow; 20 acres of pasture; and 80 acres of furze and heath” – ie a total of 134 acres, quite a large farm for the period. At the beginning of the 19th century, it was about 176 acres. In the early 1900s, George Lambert MP purchased some neighbouring fields round Cramphay, and he also attached some fields to Coffins that previously formed part of the neighbouring farms of Spreytonwood, Stockhay and possibly Rugroad (all of which the Lamberts also owned), so that by the 1950s its area was 226 acres.

The house was renamed Spreyton House in 2016.

May 2009. Amended January 2017.

DEEDS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS RELATING TO COFFINS IN THE DEVON RECORD OFFICE

Agreement of 1655 made in Court, whereby John and Agnes Baron acknowledge Jane Hore’s right to one half of Coffin for 99 years from the decease of Raph Hore, determinable upon the deaths of Jane Hore and her son Thomas. She pays £60 and a peppercorn rent. The property is described as 1 messuage; 1 kitchen; 1 stable; 1 barn; 1 curtilage and garden and orchard; 20 acres of land; 14 acres of meadow; 20 acres of pasture; and 80 acres of furze and heath in Deerparks, otherwise Dureparks, Coffin and Spreyton.Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

List of rents due in the manor of Spreyton in 1664.Devon Archives ref:158M/M42

Conveyance of 1683 between (1) Alexander Trend of Chagford, yeoman; (2) George Palmer of Lyons Inn Middlesex; and (3) William Asshe. Alexander Trend conveys to Palmer and Asshe a half of Bobeer, late in the possession Ann Cadlake but now in possession of Alexander Trend; a half of Coffins now or late in the possession of Alexander Trend; a half of Courtisbeer, late in the possession of John Hore but now in that of Alexander Trend; and a half of Bush now or late in the possession Alexander Trend. (This could be a mortgage arrangement). Devon Archives ref: DD 34202.

Conveyance in the 21st year of Charles (?1646 or 1681)

  1. Wm Battishill of Spreyton
  2. Agnes Trend,widow of Chagford. For £100He conveys ½ Bowbeer in the possession of Edward Preston and Edward Cann; ½ Coffins occupied by Thomas Hore; ½ North Beer in the occupation of Benedict Nethercott; ½ Bush now or late in the occupation of Folger? Hore

    Devon Archives ref: DD 34201

    Lease of 29.9.1743 of one fourth of Coffins and the fields known as the Deerparks otherwise Dureparks, granted by Arthur Kelly of Kelly in Devon Esq. to Thomas Hore of Spreyton, Esq. for 99 years, determinable on the lives of Mark Cann, son of John Cann of Spreyton, gent., and Thomas Trist, son of Browse Trist of Totnes Esq. The lease starts from the death of Thomas Hore, now the only life on the premises. There is an upfront payment of £29 and an annual rent of 10s and a heriot of £1. Thomas agrees to grind corn from the premises at Horracombe Mills, and to do suite and service at the courts of Arthur Kelly within the Manor of Spreyton. One copy signed Arthur Kelly; one signed Thos Hore. Witnesses: Susanna Kelly and James Tymewell. The one signed by Thos Hore is inscribed on reverse “Manor of Spreyton, fourth part, counterpart”.

    Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

    Lease and release of 18 and 19.2.1744 whereby for £130 John Trend of Chagford, Gent.,and his wife Agnes convey to Thomas Hore of Nymph in South Tawton half of Coffins and the Deerparks, formerly in the tenure ofThomas Hore and then of Jane Hore but now of John Trend or his tenant. JT covenants that he owns the premises, notwithstanding any actions of his late father Alexander Trend; late grandfather Alexander Trend or late great-grandmother Agnes Trend (the high and chief rents and services only excepted and foreprized). John and Agnes Trend undertake to levy a fine of the premises in Thomas Hore’s favour.

    Signed John Trend and Agnes Trend. Witnesses: John Luxmoore and Jno. Luxmoore junior.

    Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

    Declaration of 20.4.1745 between (1) John Trend of Chagford, gent., and his wife Agnes; and (2) Henry Hooper, gent., and William Ellis, yeoman, both of Chagford. The parties agreed that the Trends would, in the Court of Common Pleas, levy and execute a fine unto Henry Hooper and William Ellis, upon a number of properties, including half of Coffins and fields belonging to it called Deerparks, in the possession of John Hore, gent., who lately purchased the fee thereof from John Trend. The properties were all for the use of John Trend and his heirs, except for the half of Coffins and Deerparks, for which the use of the fine was declared to Thomas Hore and his heirs.

    Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

    Affirmation of 5.10.1757 between (1) Richard Hore of North Tawton and his wife Julianna; (2) Thomas Hole of North Tawton; and (3) John Battishill of Drewsteington. It lists properties of which Richard Hore is seized in fee simple, including Coffins.

    Devon Archives ref: 2914 A/PF 20

    Final agreement of Easter in the 18th year of GeorgeII’s reign. John Trend gentleman and his wife Agnes, agree that lands in Bowbeer, North Beer, Coffins, Deerparks and Bush are to go to Henry Hooperand William Ellis who have paid £200.

    Devon Archives ref: DD 34204.

    Lease and release of 25/26.4.1777 whereby Richard Hole of Exeter, clerk, conveys to Hore Browse Trist of South Tawton, Esq., for £300 one fourth of the messuage and tenement of Coffins in Spreyton, now and late in the tenure of Thomas Hooper, blacksmith, and Samuel Honeychurch as tenants to Richard Hole (the royalty and waste and hunting and fowling reserved to RH) by a lease of 8.10.1757 for 21 years at £5 rent. An annual rent of 3d. is payable to Richard Hole and his heirs in perpetuity. RH covenants his title to the property regardless of any act by him; Mary Risdon, widow late of Crediton; or by Nathaniel Risdon, her late son; or by any of his ancestors. RH undertakes to produce as requested the following deeds:
  • Lease and release of 3/4.2.1657From Edward Wise to Nathaniel Risdon the Elder, great-grandfather of Nathaniel Risdon, who made the settlement in 1737 hereinafter abstracted of ¼ of the Manor of Spreyton with a covenant for the said Edward Wise and Arabella his wife to make further assurance;
  • Hilary Term 1657: a fine between Nathaniel Risdon and Edward Wise and Arabella, deforciants of divers lands, among others the Manor of Spreyton;
  • Lease and release of 17/18.9.1678 by Nathaniel Risdon to Philip Furse and Wm Knapman (on the marriage of NR junior with Margaret Furse, daughter of John Furse) of ¼ of the Manor of Spreyton to the use of NR for life and then to trustees;
  • Michaelmas 1707: exemplification of a recovery between Philip Furse the younger and Robert Incledon, among divers manors and lands ¼ of the Manor of Spreyton, Richard Risdon vouchee;
  • Indenture of 16.3.1713 between (1)Richard Risdon, gent., (2) Robert Incledon and (3) Philip Furze the younger, reciting the above recovery and declaring that the uses should be to Richard Risdon and his heirs forever;
  • Michaelmas Term 1738: indenture of a fine between Thomas Comyns and Peter Turker, plaintiffs and Nathaniel Risdon deforciant of divers lands including ¼ of Coffins and Deerparks;
  • 5.10.1757: indenture between (10 Richard Hole clerk and his wife Juliana; (2) Thomas Hole clerk; and (3) John Battishill reciting that Richard Hole was seized in fee of divers manors and other lands including ¼ of the Manor of Spreyton and Coffins; Richard and Juliana covenant with Thomas to levy a fine;
  • Michaelmas Term 31 Geo II: fine between Thomas, plaintiff, and Richard and Juliana, deforciants, of ¼ of the Manor of Spreyton and lands in Coffins.

    Signed Richd Hole and H. B. Trist.

    Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

    Lease and release of 28/29.9.1796 between (1) Hore Browse Trist of Totnes, Esq., only son and heir at law of Nicholas Trist Esq., formerly of Totnes but since resident in Wanchack on the river Mississipi in the province of Louisiana in America, now deceased, who was one of the sons of Hore Browse Trist Esq.,of Bowden House in Totnes by his wife Agnes who was the only daughter and heiress of Thomas Hore Esq. of east Nymet als Nymph in South Tawton; (2) George Cann of Falkingdon als Falkaton in Spreyton, gent.;and George Cann of Hillerdon in Bow, gent.
    Hore Browse Trist, by virtue of Thos Hore’s will of 15.5.1746; and also by a lease and release of 2/3 May 1796 between (1) Hore Browse Trist; (2) Timothy Rowland Bevan of St Michael Bassishaw, City of London, gent.; and (3) John Taylor, gent of Totnes; and also by a recovery in the Trinity term last past, is seized in fee of half the messuages etc called Coffins and half ofthe fields called the Deerparks or Dureparks, formerly in the occupation of John Trend, deceased, then of Thomas Hore, the great-grandfather of Hore Browse Trist, then of Hore Browse Trist, deceased uncle of Hore Browse Trist, lately of Browse Trist, another uncle of Hore Browse But now of Hore Browse Trist party hereto, subject to a lease of 2 years granted on 25 March last by Hore Browse Trist to Christopher Copplestone; and the high and chief rents.

George Cann, at a public survey held for the sale of the said premises, agreed to buy them for £650. HBT accordingly conveys them to him and undertakes to produce on demand:

  • probate copy of Thomas Hore’s will, proved on 12.5.1746 at the Archdeaconry of Exeter;
  • certain documents, affidavits, etc proving the legitimacy of Nicholas Trist’s marriage with Elizabeth House of Philadelphia and the birth and identity of their son HBT.

    Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

Lease and release of 25 and 26.3.1803 whereby Tryphena Trist of Totnes, spinster, conveys a half part of Coffins to George Cann Esq. of Falkingdon for £600. The conveyance mentions that this half share of the property belonged to Browse Trist formerly of Totnes, Clerk, who died intestate on 13.12.1791 leaving 3 infant daughters, Elizabeth Ayshford Trist, Susanna Hore Trist and Tryphena Trist. Susanna died in May 1793, still an infant and intestate. Elizabeth married (while still a minor) Lewis John Marie Haussoullier. There was then a case before the High Court of Chancery on 22.6.1797 between Lewis and Elizabeth, Gillory Pigott and John Taylor (trustees of Elizabeth’s marriage settlement) as complainants and Agnes Hore Champernowne and Tryphena as defendants. Following this and various other legal proceedings, the inheritance of the two remaining daughters was divided between them, the half share of Coffins among other properties being allotted to Tryphena. Tryphena reached the age of 21 on 5.7.1802 and agreed on 2.7.1802 with Geo. Cann to sell him the half of Coffins.The premises are described as consisting of a farmhouse, garden and outbuildings (1 acre); and the fields of Bewton (3 acres), Cross Park (2 acres), Cross Park Orchard (2), Thorne Park (8), Great Meadow (6), Little Meadow (1), Powesland’s Garden (2 roods), the Moor (5), Ellen’s Close (12), Gallows Stile (8), Long Close (6), Furze Park (11), Slade (8), Church Park (6), Lower Moor (10), New Park (18), Ball Hill (22) and another Ball Hill (7), Lower Deer Park (8), Adjoining Lower Deer Park (10), Higher Deer Park (16), and Adjoining Higher Deer Park (3 acres). Royalty and waste and liberty of hunting and fowling on a quarter of the premises are reserved to Richard Hole, the said quarter having been conveyed to Hore Browse Trist (deceased), the brother of Tryphena’s father by deeds of lease and release of 25 and 26.4.1777, at that time being in the tenure of Thomas Cooper and/or Samuel Honeycombe, tenants to Richard Hole. There is also a yearly reserved rent of £3 payable to Richard Hole and his heirs.

Counterparts signed by Tryphena Trist. Witnesses John Taylor jun. and Wm. Kinsman.

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

Lease and release of 29 and 30.1.1808. The lease is the standard 1-year one for 5s and a barley corn rent to prepare for the releaseof a half part of the messuages and lands called Coffinsby John Cann of Fuidge, nephew of John Cann of Fuidge deceased, to George Lambert Gorwyn of Falkedon, gentleman, against a payment of £600. The release recites that John Cann the uncle inherited as heir at law the half part of Coffins from his brother George Cann of Falkedon, a bachelor who died intestate as to this property (and John Cann being his eldest brother and heir-at law). John Cann the uncle left it to John Cann the nephew by a codicil dated 15.4.1805, annexed to his will of 13.3.1798. John Cann then contracted to sell it to GLG. Coffins is described as late in the possession of George Cann and now in the possession of GLG.The conveyance is subject to the royalty and waste and liberty of hunting and fowling rights of Richard Hole, Clerk, late of the City of Exeter upon the one fourth part of the property that was granted to one Hore Trist Browse Esq., deceased, the eldest brother of Browse Trist, Clerk, by indenture of lease and release dated 25 and 26 April 1777 and late in the tenure of Thomas Hooper and/or Samuel Honeycombe as tenants to Richard Hole. JC undertakes that the property is indemnified against the Dower and Thirds in Common Law of Rebecca, wife of JC if she should survive himThe fields of Coffins are listed [perches excluded]: farmhouse together with court, curtileges and outbuildings 1.5acres; Bewdon 3.5 acres; Crosspark 2 acres; Crosspark Orchard 2 acres; Thorne Park 8.75 acres; Great Meadow 6.25 acres; Little Meadow 1.5 acres; Powlesland Garden 0.5 acres; The Moor 5 acres; Ellens Close 12 acres; Gallows Stile 8.75 acres; Long close 6.5 acres;Furze Park 11.75 acres; Slade 10.5 acres; Church Park 6.2 acres; Lower Moor 10.5 acres; New Park 18.75 acres; Ball Hill 22.5 acres; Ball [?] 7.25 acres; Lower Deerpark 8.75 acres; Adjoining Lower Deerpark 10.25 acres; Higher Deerpark 16.75 acres; Adjoining Higher Deerpark 8.75 acres.

Signed John Cann. Witnesses: ?JR Southmead and Jno. Harvey.

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

1848-51: plans and accounts mainly relating to the building of a new linhay and to the drainage and surveying of various fields at Coffins. There is also an apparently unrealised plan for altering the building. [10 items]

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

Lease of 26.6.1863: indenture between (1) George Lambert Gorwyn of Cullompton, gent.; (2) John Hooper of Spreyton, yeoman; and (3) Rowland Hooper of Coldridge, yeoman, whereby GLG leases to JH for 10 years a messuage and farm called Coffins and Cross Park field, in all about 187 acres; and all those lands of 60 acres, part of Rugroad, with the cottages and farm buildings in Spreyton now in the occupation of Samuel Powlesland and Samuel Powlesland the younger, except for the coppices, underwood, browse, frith and furze in the coppices; all the stones now in heaps; the trees and sticks likely to become timber, and mineral and game rights. The tenant was required not to take more than two crops of corn or grain running, and to sow at least 20 acres of turnips per annum. He was forbidden to plough meadow or old pastureland without consent (and had to pay £20 extra rent for every acre so ploughed), and in the last five years to plough or till Bowdown, Crosspark, Little Bramblefield, Homer Moor, Yonder Moor, Western Allens Field, Gallows Stile Moor, Deer Park Moor or Homerslade on Coffins or the Deer Park on Rugroad. He was also forbidden in that period to dispose of or carry off “any Reed; unthrashed corn, pulse or grain; hay; straw; haulm, dung, manure, ashes, soil or compost” but to use it for the improvement of the premises. In the last year of the tenancy after November, he was also required not to graze the pasture with anything except sheep after November. He was forbidden to “pin any moles or vermin against the walls of the premises” ,nor keep any dogs (except sheepdogs) or pigeons, turkeys or gallinae. In the last three years he was required to “leave 20 acres of arable land out of tillage … upon which the lessor…may enter and prepare for wheat; also will properly harrow and brush in the grass seeds to be sown with the spring corn in the last year of the said term, which seeds are to be provided by the said lessor … upon ten days notice that the same are required; and will not depasture the young grass after 29 September in the last year”.

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

List of fields and acreages, probably late 19th century.

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

Undated bill, probably late 19th century,for works on Ball Hill cottage (presumably a now demolished cottage that was part of Coffins as there is a Ball Hill field at Coffins).

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

1904-5 correspondence about alterations to house and gardens at Coffins, mainly from the Exeter architects Harbottle & Reed. [27 items + 10 drawings in 2 envelopes]

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

Copy of note of 21.7.1913 from GL to W. Isaac, The Barton, Spreyton, about an alteration to the hedge by the side of the garden at Coffins on the Cramphay field bordering Bewdown, taking about ¼ acre of Isaac’s land, and Isaac’s reply agreeing.

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

Copy of schedule attached to a lease of 28.11.1957
whereby the Rt. Hon. Viscount Lambertleased Coffins (226 acres) to his son the Hon George Lambert MP for £150 a year.

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

1969 valuation of the house at Coffins (£14,000), and covering letter of 17.3.1970 fromRawlence and Squarey, surveyors, to 2nd Viscount Lambert, together with a copy of a letter from Rawlence and Squarey about the property involved in trust arrangements between Viscount Lambert and his son (3 documents).

Devon Archives: Lambert estate papers.

Website powered by BT